Jorge Villalobos
Ideas, technology and the occasional rant

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Back in the game

I'm back now, after weeks of not having a computer I could call my own. All fellow geeks will acknowledge how painful that can be.
My new laptop constitutes one of the final steps into completely adapting myself to this new world I'll be living in for the next months, maybe years. I've just moved to the US, where I'll get my masters in CS. The past weeks have been... well, interesting. Filled with pretty much everything you can expect from a complete reconfiguration of one's life.
I've spent a ridiculously high amount of money, explained dozens of times where Costa Rica is, and discovered that the Computer Science department is actually a small branch of India. Not that I'm complaining. Those guys look very well-centered and focused on their objectives, and they have been really nice to me. We've all had to deal with the same process of settling in...
The food is what scares me the most. It's heaven and hell all in one. I could dedicate my life to eating junk food here, which I'm sure is the career path of many locals, LOL. I enjoy the occasional burger and coke, but I'm very worried about what I eat. It's really hard to find real food. I'm starting to get into crazy-go-to-gym-every-oportunity-I-have mode. Yeah, the old CGTGEOIH mode.
One way or the other, now I feel settled. It's been a long adaptation process, but now I'm taking classes, doing homework and slacking around. It's college alright.
What's in my laptop, you ask? Lets see... I've got Windows XP Professional, Fedora Core 4, OpenOffice, Firefox (obviously, but it's actually DP2), Thunderbird, Sunbird, Eclipse and McAfee virus scan, which is required by the university to be in all computers that want to use their network. It's a good policy, I think.
So, now that I'm back I'll try to blog a little more often, try to make this a real blog and satisfy all my eager readers... there's 2, I believe. I'm back. See ya soon.

Get Firefox!

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/04/2005 10:28 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/04/2005 10:34 AM  

  • Good so u finally settled...
    But I am really having problems settling down... no problems as such but my life starts when the computer boots and my pc only has WinXP... an OS which i rarely used...

    U have original WinXp/McFee Antivirus that i could use... also FC4 will be great. Are u planning to install BSD on ur box?

    Hey i never knew that u considered CS as India's main attraction :D
    Glad u r enlightened :)

    By Blogger Sridhar Iyer, at 9/05/2005 9:46 AM  

  • BSD... nah. Since I only need it for OS projects I'd rather just use the labs. Worst case, I'll get some virtual machine and run it on top of XP.

    By Blogger Villa, at 9/08/2005 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home